Our vision is to be the most customer-driven and efficient public transit agency in Virginia.
Our mission is to serve the community through high quality, safe, efficient and sustainable regional transportation services.
How many employees does HRT currently have?
HRT currently is home to 1,087 employees.
How was HRT created?
HRT was formed on October 1, 1999, after a merger between Pentran and TRT – the first voluntary merger of two transit agencies in the country.
How is HRT funded?
What cities does HRT serve?
HRT serves six cities: Chesapeake, Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk, Portsmouth and Virginia Beach. The entire service area population is 1.3 million.
Why is the service more frequent in some areas/cities than in others?
HRT contracts with each city in our service area separately, and each city determines how much service is to be provided in their area.
- Bus - 56 Fixed Regular Routes, 7 MAX Express Routes, 3 Seasonal VB Wave Routes and 7 Commuter Work Trips.
- The Tide – Virginia’s first light rail system
- Elizabeth River Ferry – Serving Downtown Norfolk and Olde Towne Portsmouth
- TRAFFIX – Providing transportation alternatives
- Paratransit – Service Available for Persons with Disabilities