Bus Safety TipsHampton Roads Transit wants you to be safe when riding our buses. Just follow these safety tips:
- –Use designated crosswalks and sidewalks to reach the bus stop. Never walk in a traffic lane.
- –Always wait for buses on the sidewalk at designated stops.
- –Always stand 2-3 feet from the curb and wait for the bus to come to a complete stop before approaching the bus.
- –Always enter the bus through the front door.
- –Allow others to exit before boarding.
- –Keep children close and board together.
- –Be sure to use the handrails to avoid slipping and/or falling.
- –Never cross in front of or behind the bus.
- –Give elderly and disabled persons priority seating.
- –Never stand in front of the yellow line or in the stairwell while the bus is in motion.
- –Avoid conversation with the driver while the bus is in motion.
- –Don’t lean or press on the doors.
- –Stay seated unless you are holding on to a handrail.
- –Keep hands, feet and items clear from closing doors.
- –Keep your head and arms inside the bus window.
- –Keep your feet on the floor and do not extend arms, legs or personal items into the aisle.
- –Always wait until the bus has come to a complete stop before leaving your seat and exiting the bus.
- –Always exit the bus through the door nearest you.
- –Step onto the sidewalk – don’t walk between the side of the bus and the curb.
- –Use designated crosswalks when exiting the bus. Never walk in a traffic lane.
- –Never run after a bus after it has pulled away from the stop.
- –Pay attention to your surroundings.
- –If you drop something near the bus, wait until the bus has pulled away before attempting to pick it up.