How To Ride – Bus
Planning your trip — three methods
- Let Google plan your trip online. At www.gohrt.com, click on “Trip Planner” and fill in your starting and ending place.
- Plan your own trip online — if you already know which route(s) you will ride. At www.gohrt.com, click “Routes”.
- Pick up route maps (green or blue) in the lobby of HRT offices in Norfolk or Hampton; each one shows the route and the times the bus reaches key points.
Paying for your ride
- If you are going to pay as you ride, have ready $1.50 (in correct change) every time you board.
- If you’ll ride more than twice on one day, it’s cheaper to buy a Go-1-Day Pass for $3.50. On your first ride of the day, buy your card from the machine (on the bus or the ferry or the light rail platform). Be sure to have correct change.
- If you have a valid Pass (Go-1-Day or Go-30-Day or Go-365), be ready to show it every time you board the bus, ferry or light rail.
* Seniors and youth pay less for any fare or pass. Have an ID ready, and ask before you pay. *
What you can do on the bus
- Use your cell phone — chat quietly, send messages, check the weather or the bus schedules…
- Read – the paper, a book, a magazine…
- Talk to other passengers — broaden your horizons…
- Watch the scenery
(Note: Eating and drinking are not allowed.)
If you aren’t sure what to do next, or if you need advice about ferries, light rail, buses, or MAX express buses
- Ask the drivers – they know everything
- Even better, ask another passenger. Bus riders are always willing and eager to help you get where you want to go.